Pretty Face

Pretty Face - Mary Hogan Hayley- A girl with a pretty face.That is what she has always been.She is witty, funny and she has a great sense of humor but someway the boys just don't see her as a potential girlfriend canditate.They just see her as a friend.And Hayley is more than sick of that.Hayley is not like "ordinary" girls in Santa Monica, California. She does not fit to the scene with the all blond, super skinny California girls. She is a little fat, not much, but just the way that putting a bikini on and going to the beach sounds like the worst nightmare ever.At the end of the school year everything starts to go wrong. Drew, a guy Hayley has liked for a long time, sees Hayley just as a friend and tells her that he is interested about Hayley's BFF. Hayley's mother is weight obsessed and keeps feeding tofu and other healthy stuff to her family. She pushes Hayley about her weight constantly and Hayley feels bad all the time. When she hears that her parents are going to send her to Italy for the whole summer she first thinks that is is just a bad joke.At Italy Hayley opens her eyes to a totally different world. There being curvy is seen beautiful. There people enjoy eating and pasta and pizza are not seen as creations of the evil. Hayley starts to see herself in a whole new light. When she feels confident about herself she understands that maybe not is the time for the true love. She even has a hot Italian guy in her mind... someone who sees a lot more than just a pretty face.I really was able to identify with Hayley. When I was 16 I left my home for 10 MONTHS and started to see myself in a whole new light. I fell in love with a guy who is so amazing and I still miss him more than anything. Those 10 months away from home educated me so much. I got to know myself so much better. I became a lot more independent, I knew that I was able to do some things alone. I think that my decision to leave home at that point was the best decision I've ever made.