Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders

Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders - Henrietta Webb, Josephine Ross The ones that I've been following my posts frequently already know that I am doing this school essay called EE (extended essay) about a topic related to Jane Austen. At this point my research question is: What was the role of dance during the time and life of Jane Austen and how does it affect the relationships and plot of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and Emma? Because of this essay, I ordered several different books related to Jane Austen and dance (you can see the other books from my latest IMM post.)This little guide to good manners was a light and fast read. It has some beautiful illustrations by Henrietta Webb. Those illustrations make the reading even more pleasing. Even though I've done different types of research about Jane Austen for years now, and I already knew something about the manners of the society, it was interesting to read this book, since it highlights some advices Miss Jane Austen herself gave to her niece about how to act in the society. Since I first time read Pride and Prejudice I have wanted to build a time machine so I could travel back in time to 19th century. The world Jane Austen's novels portray is the world I dream about. I know there were many negative things in the society of that time, and all and all, in the life of the people. But the way Jane Austen portrays the society has made me fall in love with it, and I have become extremely interested about the history of Jane Austen herself and about the society of her time. For me, the most useful part of this book, considering my essay, is 'Dancing and Dining'. The other sections of this book are 'Manners makyth Man- and Woman', 'The Forms of Introduction', ' Calling and Conversation', 'Dress and Taste', 'The Subject of Matrimony', 'The Family Circle' and 'The Assistance of Servants'. The ideal society I would love to live in would be the mixture of Jane Austen's society and the society we live in right now. I would love to attend formal balls, learn how to sing and dance properly, live in a big country house or manor and ride horse carriages. But I would not want to say goodbye to proper shower, computer, cell phone and the fact that I can wear jeans and short dresses. What I really would love to get from Jane Austen's society to the current society is the manners and respect. I want guys to act like gentlemen, not like animals. I want young people to show respect for older people. I think that the current society is slipping at those things.I recommend this little book to every fan of Jane Austen, especially at those who are not yet so familiar with the society Jane Austen's novels talk about. This is a delighful addition into my collection of Jane Austen related titles.