Macbeth (Folger Shakespeare Library Series)

Macbeth - William Shakespeare I bet I am not the only one who thinks that picking up a Shakespeare play and starting to read it a bit of a challenge. It may even feel scary. You might feel like you are not intelligent enough to read Shakespeare. At least that is what I thought before. When I heard that 'Macbeth' is going to be the final book we read for my English class, I decided to pick it up earlier and before familiar with it.Macbeth, as a play, was familiar to me. I was lucky enough to see Macbeth as a play at Shakespeare's Globe at London on April 2010. It was the most amazing theater performance I've ever seen. Everything was on place on it; actors, staging, sounds, lighting etc. And I got to see Elliot Cowan as Macbeth, which was an amazing experience. Macbeth is a story about Scottish thane called Macbeth. According to prophecies by three witches he is the one who should be the king of Scotland. With the help of his wife, Lady Macbeth, a woman with her own problems, Macbeth kills the Duncan, the king of Scotland to get the throne to himself. Duncas's sons flee the country after the murder and Macbeth gets the throne. But through the gaining of power comes fear. He commits more and more murders to prevent the loss of his power. Eventually Macbeth and his wife both get mad and lost, they do not know what is the reality and what is the truth. I really liked Macbeth. It is dark, twisted and full of blood and drama. While reading the play I constantly went back to the play at Globe, remembering some parts really well. Macbeth is pushed by her wife, she wants power and fame. After committing the first murder Macbeth cannot forgot what he did, and the people he murdered keep haunting him. I am happy that next Spring I will be reading Macbeth again for my English class. I can't wait the discussions we will have about the book, it will be really interesting. I recommend Macbeth to everyone, it is a great play which has stayed popular for decades. William Shakespeare truly is the master of English literature.