The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green 'The Fault in Our Stars' is one of those books that has been on my to-read list pretty much since it was published. For pretty much a year, I have had the ebook copy on my collection. Finally, when I saw that Iina bought the copy to read during her holiday, I decided that I should give it a try as well. Since one of my childhood friend's died of cancer on the day I graduated from high school, I have been avoiding pretty much anything cancer related if possible. The fact that she was only two weeks younger than me, and her life ended when mine, in a way, began, it something I did not want to think about, and I still prefer not to. So, when beginning the process of reading the book, I had my thoughts. How would Green characterize someone with cancer? How would the sickness itself be treated? How would I react to the novel?I love Hazel. She is funny, intelligent and strong. She has been sick for many years, and even though she knows that she is probably going to die, she keeps on living. At parts, she admits that she does so for her parents - when/if she dies, they won't be parents anymore. Hazel loves reading, and her "obsession" with Van Houten's book is something I could probably do with a book as well. When she meets Augustus, she lights up.What I liked most about Augustus is the fact that he is not PERFECT. He does not shine, he isn't rich or famous and he definitely has his faults. This makes him much more realistic, and at the same time, much more desirable. Augustus is funny, intelligent and really cares about Hazel. But he is also much more sick that Hazel is, despite the fact that Hazel does not know it. It is heart breaking to read about the relationship of two people who are so perfect for each other, knowing that it probably won't end well.Green's writing seems so easy and casual - the conversations are realistic and flow well - but in truth it probably has taken a lot of effort for him to make the story flow as well as it does. The writing is also very intelligent (come on, the title itself is taken from the great Shakespeare) and it is refreshing to read something that does not include the sentence "HE TOUCHED ME THERE" on every single chapter (yes, Fifty Shades of Grey, I am looking at you). Since I have to link everything to films, I think it is in order to discuss the film adaptation of the novel. The film, according to IMDB is in pre-production process at the moment and the rights are owned by 20th Century Fox. The appointed director, John Boone is not familiar to me, and after doing some research, it seems that he has released his debut film Stuck in Love in 2012 (it has Logan Lerman, just FYI for those who liked The Perks of Being a Wallflower). Shailene Woodley (The Descendants) has been cast as Hazel. I really cannot comment on Shailene Woodley because I am not that familiar with her work, but according to John Green, she really is a fan of the novel, which is always good (Woodley will also be in the adaptation of Veronica Roth's Divergent). The big question is, WHO WILL PLAY AUGUSTUS WATERS? After reading some forums and fan sites, I came across the following names: Andrew Garfield (The Social Network, The Amazing Spiderman), Logan Lerman (The Perks of Being A Wallflower), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 Days of Summer, The Dark Knight Rises), Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Art of Getting By), Douglas Booth (LOL, the new adaptation of Shakespeare's Romeo&Juliet), Grant Gustin (Glee), Tom Sturridge (On the Road), Dylan O'Brien (MTV's Teen Wolf), Penn Badgley (Gossip Girl, Easy A).A lot of options, I know... From the list above, Lerman and Garfield were mentioned the most. I think Andrew Garfield might be a bit too old for the role, whereas Logan Lerman would probably work. I am actually really excited to see who ends up being cast for the role.What do you think of the casting of Woodley? Who do you think would be the PERFECT Augustus?