Wintergirls

Wintergirls - Laurie Halse Anderson I got this book yesterday night from the library and I had to spent the whole night reading it, I just couldn't put it down. I read Catalyst by Laurie Halse Andersen a couple of weeks ago and I knew what to expect. After I finished with this book, I was speechless. And that does not happen very often.Lia's best friend Cassie has died alone in a motel room. Lia feels responsible for her best friend's death. Cassie tried to call Lia 33 times before she died. Lia didn't answer. Lia and Cassie made a deal when they were younger. They both wanted to be the skinniest students of their high school. Cassie, suffering from bulimia and Lia, suffering from anorexia get smaller and smaller. When Cassie dies Lia starts to fight with herself; there is the hungry Lia who wants to take a bite from muffin and eat like a normal teenager. There is the strong Lia, the one who says that food is disgusting, the one who is in charge of the ideal weight goal. The strong, forceful Lia is in charge and the hungry Lia cannot fight against it. Lia gets skiennier and sicker all the time without understanding that eventually, if she goes on the way she is going on now, she is going to die. The fact that Cassie's ghost is hunting Lia, telling her that she is going to die, does not help at all. Can Lia fight against a part of herself and Cassie? Does she find a way to get better soon enough?The imagenery and lyrical language are amazing in this book. At some points you feel like you are reading a beautiful poem when you read this book. Andersen uses language so greatly that the reader is able to see the struggle Lia is going through, the reader is able to sense it. Even though you wouldn't like the story inself you will love this book because of it's amazing use of English language. I am still mesmerized.If I wouldn't have made by best reads on 2009 list yet this book would totally be on it on the top 3, maybe even on the first place.