Bridget Jones's Diary: A Novel

Bridget Jones's Diary - Helen Fielding Bridget Jones is probably familiar to all of us. We have heard about her somewhere, seen the movies. Some of us might not even know that those movies were based on books, which are a lot better than the movies. Is that even possible? someone might ask, since the movies are super hilarious. But yes, it is. In Bridget Jones's Diary we are introduced to Bridget, a thirtysomething woman from London. She is disappointed with her job, disappointed with her body image. She is pretty much disappointed with her whole life. She is single and miserable. As a new years resolution, she decides to start dieting, to stop drinking and smoking without any control and to find a nice, honest single man to her side. But as we all probably can figure out, her plans do not really work, at least not a first. She falls for Daniel Cleaver, her boss. Eventually she finds out that Daniel definitely is not the nice, honest single man she was looking for. The relationship with Daniel works so badly that it ends with Bridget changing her place of work.Mark Darcy. A famous barister from London. Bridget used to run around naked in his paddling pool. Now, years later they meet again, and right away Bridget decides that Mark is the most arrogant and boring man she has ever met. Natasha, Mark's college, seems like the perfect woman for the uptight Mark. Bridget's hatered towards Mark goes skyhigh when she hears Daniel's false accusations about Mark. As the time goes by, Bridget starts to notice other sides of Mark, and she even starts to like him, when she hears that Mark likes her, just as she is. But there are many obstacles on Bridget's way; Daniel Cleaver is trying to get Bridget back, she does not know the truth about what happened between Mark and Daniel, and then there is Natasha, who seems like she has glued herself to Mark. Can Bridged find the happiness, or is she going to be a singleton for the rest of her life? This book is so hilarious. Bridget herself is so hilarious. I was lauhging out loud when I read this. I love the characters; the handsome but devilish Daniel, extremely handsome and honest Mark, Bridget's hilarious mother, the group of Singleton's Bridget hangs out with... All of them. The Bridget Jones's Diary can be called a modern adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice since it has some similar elements with it. There is the complex hero, Bridget (Elizabeth Bennet) and two men in her life, Daniel and Mark (Wickham and Darcy). She hears a false story about the other one and that way makes accusations (Wickham's story about Darcy), but eventually gets to know the truth. Since Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel, I knew I would love this one. Who could resist the dreamy Mark Darcy? NO ONE! :)