The Year Of Secret Assignments

The Year of Secret Assignments - Jaclyn Moriarty Lydia, Emily and Cassie. They have been best friends since they were little. Their parents all are lawyers who also have been friends before the birth of the girls. Now Lydia, Emily and Cassie are 10th graders from Ashbury high school. They love to hang around, just the three of them, skip lessons to go to the movies, and to make up random food without recipes during the weekends at someone's house. Since their parents are lawyers, they always get a house for all of them; every weekend someone's parents are on a seminar etc. Lydia is loud, extreme and she has a great sense of humor. She dreams of becoming a writes some day. Her father is judge of Supreme Court and her mother is a retired Soap Opera Star. Emily loves shopping, chocolate and horses. She has two horses of her own. Cassie is the most sensible one of the girls. She is quiet and does not really open up to others that Lydia and Emily. She loves singing, but she has a terrible stage fright. She has lost her father only a year ago and is still going through the progress of grief. When a pen-pal project between Ashbury (I get the sense that it is one of those preppy schools for the kids of rich people) and Brookfield High is launched, there is prejudice on the both sides. Everyone at Ashbury thinks that Brookfield High students deal drugs and get into problems when at the same time at Brookfield the kids think that everyone at Ashbury are rich and arrogant.Lydia's pen pal from Brookfield, Seb, is a sensitive guy who loves art and is obsessed about soccer. Emily's pen pal Charlie is a sweet guy with some problems. Cassie's pen pal, Matthew is a total mystery. First he threatens Cassie in every possible way, but then takes 360 and is really nice towards Cassie. Lydia and Emily both are happy about their pen-pals, when Cassie is in doubt. Can she trust Matthew? Is Matthew really as nice as he seems to be via his letters? When a secret about Matthew is revealed, Lydia and Emily want to help their hurt friend. A war between the schools is declared. What will happen? Who will win? Find out by reading 'The Year of Secret Assigments'.This book is told via letters, e-mails, diary entries and notes. This is the second book I read which was told that way. Last year I read 'Heart of my Sleeve' which was written the same way. Even though I also enjoyed Heart on my Sleeve, I must say I liked this one a bit more. Lydia, Emily and Cassie are all likable characters. I like Lydia's wit and sense of humor and I feel bad for Cassie who has lost her father; I can identify with her, I know how it feels to lose your father. Somehow I feel that Emily was a little in the shadows of Lydia and Cassie. But it is only my opinion. From these three girls, I liked Lydia the most. Someway I also felt that she is the backbone of the friendship of these three girls; she always figures out something fun and extreme to do and that way keeps the friendship interesting. When the new pen-pals of the girls are introduced, I right away knew that there is something wrong with Cassie's pen-pal Matthew. You will be totally surprised, when the whole truth about him is discovered. From the three guys, I must say that I liked Lydia's pen-pal, Seb, the most. He is obsessed with soccer and remembers the winners of the World Cup from the history. He is very artistic and sensible, and that is what I personally love in a guy. It is very interesting to read a book written in a way this was written. Somehow it makes the reading experience more personal; you are reading someone's letter and e-mails. 'The Year of Secret Assigments' was a nice and fast read with a lot of action and humor. I recommend this book for the fans of YA novels. If you haven't read a book in a form of letters/e-mails etc. I think this book would be a perfect one to start from.