Trade Winds

Trade Winds - Christina Courtenay A novel set in Sweden... This probably was the first one I have ever read. As a Finn, I probably should not say this, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to Swedish language or history. So the accuracy of the historical facts in the novel; I believe them to be right since I do not have any factual knowledge about that. Jess is a strong willed heroine living in Sweden with her mother and step-father. Jess father started a traiding company, but now, after his father's death, Jess believes her inheritance is tried to be swindled away from her. Jess also hates her step father and is pretty sure he turns all her suitors away so he does not have to pay the dowry for the coming suitors. Then here is Killian. A handsome gambler from Scotland. Jess does not really know what to think about Killian; she is both intrigued and infuriated. In order to recover her fortune, she proposes a marriage of convience. What either Killian nor Jess understand is that they are the perfect match. What I liked about this story was the fact that it took place in different places. To be honest, the whole Swedish thing did not sound very good to me at the beginning, but I was positively surprised about those parts. Some action also happens in Scotland, which I saw as very interesting because I am probably moving there next year. So reading something about 1700's Scotland was interesting. Then there is a sea voyage to China, which must have been long and dull during the 1700s. Other thing I really liked was the fact that Jess and Killian just don't magically fall in love. It takes time and they both need to do decisions and fight to get to the point where they realize that they love each other. I am not really a big fan of historical romance, but I think that the ones that like that type of books will love this one.